The Lounge in Dubuque is one of those neighborhood bars that hasn’t changed its jukebox or its decor in about 30 years. That and its popcorn (which seems to be laced with crack–it’s addicting) is why it’s one of the greatest places you can visit on a frigid January Friday night.
In lieu of having anything truly creative to write these days. I’m forming a…wait for it…list. Let’s hope February will be more conducive to leaving my warm apartment.
1. Go to The Lounge
2. Eat popcorn
3. Kick jukebox
4. Practice Foxtrot
5. Watch local melodramas unfold
6. Attempt lifts ala Dirty Dancing
7. Shout out “NOBODY PUTS BABY IN THE CORNER!” and have an apple pie shot
8. Try not to order a hot dog, nachos, or an other semi-tempting foods.
9. Walk/climb home (try not to fall on face)
10. Fall asleep on couch before 11:00 pm
The jukebox includes the following oldies but goodies (I need some help here so let me know if you have some favorites):
“Fever” Peggy Lee
“Hungry Eyes” Eric Carmen
“Devil Went Down to Georgia” Charlie Daniels Band
“Midnight Train to Georgia” Gladys Knight and the Pips
Frank Sinatra and Johnny Cash are in there as well.